[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.5 subject line problem
rimga at ktl.mii.lt
Mon Aug 30 15:24:31 CEST 2004
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brad Knowles" <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>
To: "Rimgaudas Laucius" <rimga at ktl.mii.lt>
Cc: "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net>; <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.5 subject line problem
> At 2:21 PM +0200 2004-08-30, Rimgaudas Laucius quoted Mark Sapiro:
> >> RFC2047 provides a method for encoding characters outside this range
> >> into message headers using either base64 or quoted-printable encoding.
> >> This gives headers that look for example like:
> >> Subject: =?iso-8859-13?q?Subject= with= =c0= Baltic= character?=
> >> Of course, there are major problems because not all MUAs create headers
> >> in this way and not all MUAs understand them, but this isn't really a
> >> Mailman issue.
> [ ... deletia ... ]
> > We have tested source text of the message sent from our MUA. The subject
> > field was
> > =?windows-1257?Q?=E0=FEe=E1=F8=EB=E6=FB?=
> > So, all characters in ASCII and this mesaage did not go through Mailman.
> > So the problem is not in MUA.</x-charset>
> Re-read the section you quoted from Mark, but obviously did not understand.
> The problem is *precisely* in your MUA. Your MUA is creating
> subject lines which are using a character set identification method
> which is not understood by all other programs, especially those that
> are not running on windows.
> Since the entire world does not run exclusively Microsoft OSes,
> you need to correct this problem on your end. There is no other
> possible solution.
> Brad Knowles, <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>
> "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
> -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), reply of the Pennsylvania
> Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755
> SAGE member since 1995. See <http://www.sage.org/> for more info.
It only an example with windows-1275 cp. The same result if i code letter with iso-8859-13. (i tried to switch on quoted printable and Base 64 coding but it does not work also.We still think problem is in Mailman and exclusively in 2.1.5 version because ealier version worked well.
More information about the Mailman-Users