[Mailman-Users] Has anyone successfully installed Mailman onFedora Core 2?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Dec 1 11:02:51 CET 2004

At 6:04 PM +0900 2004-12-01, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  Of course you don't.  The point is to test for one specific kind of
>  brain damage that is well-known, very common, and even bites people
>  who know what they're doing, not to mention being very confusing for
>  newbies.

	That's a slippery slope.  Today, it's python.h.  Tomorrow it may
be resolv.conf.  At what point do you say that you can't possibly
check for every single thing on which Mailman depends, and let people
who have horribly b0rken machines find out the hard way?

>  Wishful thinking.  By allocating the headers to the devel packages,
>  they've already indicated that in their opinion it's somebody else's
>  problem.

	If that's the way they want to do business, they can get the same
treatment as cPanel or MacOS X Server.

>  I dunno what Messrs. Warsaw et cie. think, but in my experience this
>  kind of hacking pays of in noticably reduced user frustration and
>  somewhat reduced FAQmeister effort.

	Mailman is an open-source project.  Feel free to post patches to
the tracker on SourceForge.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755