[Mailman-Users] sending mail to members in batches

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Dec 2 03:15:43 CET 2004

Darryl Hamilton wrote:
>I'm wondering if there is a setting in mailman to send mail out to
>members of a list in batches - for example send 100, wait 30 seconds,
>send to the next 100, wait 30 seconds, and so on.
>The problem is we've got a list with 1000+ members, but there is a
>per-hour outgoing mail limit of 600 (and we'd rather not change it).

Well I don't think this will solve your problem, because it doesn't
address the delay between transactions, but the maximum number of
recipients per SMTP session is set in Defaults.py with

and can be changed in mm_cfg.py

>This is a cPanel install (and from what I've heard, they distribute a
>custom version of mailman), but they don't have any settings I can
>change. I've seen the Exim tweaks and will be looking at implementing
>them, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough.
>I've had a look through all of the archives, and googled until my
>fingers bled (ok, not really), and the only thing I've found was a
>reference to what I think is another customised version of mailman or
>something completely different (it mentioned settings that I can't find
>Any help appreciated, and if this is in an FAQ somewhere, then I do

Well, what is in the FAQ

is article 6.11 that suggests places other than this list to go for
help with cPanel installations. This list generally can't offer much
help. In fact, wrt my response above, I don't even know if mm_cfg.py
makes sense in a cPanel installation.