[Mailman-Users] sending mail to members in batches

G James Jones gjjones1 at usi.edu
Thu Dec 2 17:56:35 CET 2004

> From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>
> To: Darryl Hamilton <mailman at addict.net.nz>
> Cc: mailman-users at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] sending mail to members in batches
> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:10:23 +0900

>     Darryl> I'm wondering if there is a setting in mailman to send
>     Darryl> mail out to members of a list in batches - for example
>     Darryl> send 100, wait 30 seconds, send to the next 100, wait 30
>     Darryl> seconds, and so on.

<<snipped>>.

> FWIW, I will say that IMO Mailman is very well designed for this kind
> of hacking; something like throttling is reasonably complex in itself,
> but Mailman won't make it harder than it needs to be.

With all respect to Stephen, who knows this topic way better than I do,
I have to disagree with this approach.

I would think that throttling is an MTA issue (in this case Exim).
Given that the MTA will control the rate of ALL messages from the
system, not just those that are generated by Mailman.

That might not be an issue in this situation, but generally it is true.
"Fixing" throttling in Mailman would still potentially leave an admin
open for capacity issues generated by users or other email generation
applications.  However, fixing it in the MTA, the last step before
leaving the box, would mitigate the issue for all email from the system
(Mailman or not).

Just a thought.

Jim

> Another possibility would be a custom processing pipeline, but
> implementing it there would basically amount to a busy loop, and use
> an excessive amount of resources.
>
> --
> Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences     http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
> University of Tsukuba                    Tennodai 1-1-1 Tsukuba 305-8573 JAPAN
>                Ask not how you can "do" free software business;
>               ask what your business can "do for" free software.

Jim Jones
Systems Analyst
Computer Center
University of Southern Indiana