[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.5 - genalias not working for postfix?

Jeffery Cann jccann at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 21:50:29 CET 2004

I have seen several threads related to the genalias command.  The idea
is that with postfix, when you run genalias (and you have added the
mailman alias files to your postfix main.cf), it will automatically
update your mailman alias file.

The problem for me on Fedora Core 3 is that when I set my
MTA='Postfix' in the mm_cfg.py file and then run 'genalias', the alias
file is supposed to be written to the data/aliases file.  On FC3, this
is located in /var/lib/mailman/data/

Here's an example

# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases
# ls  /var/lib/mailman/data
last_mailman_version
sitelist.cfg

My guess is that there is some configuration parameter that is
preventing this from working.  When I change remove the MTA='Postfix'
in the mm_cfg.py file, aliases are generated.  I realize this is the
workaround, but I would like to have mailman working automatically to
maintain postfix aliases when we add or remove mailman lists.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Jeff