[Mailman-Users] PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Dec 12 18:50:26 CET 2004

Jesse Long wrote:

>I have a list, and the mail hostname and web url is correct, but the
>archives' hostname points to the actual hostname of the server, not the
>virtual hostname used by the other web interfaces.
>
>I found the following:
>http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp
>
>which indicates that I need to change the PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL variable
>for the list. So I create a file with the following line in
>
>PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://correct.host.name/pipermail/listname/'
>
>and bin/config_list -i filename listname
>
>but it gives a warning "attribute PUBLIB_ARCHIVE_URL ignored". And the
>listinfo page still points to the wrong hostname
>
>Am I doing this correctly? Please help.

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL is not a list attribute, it is a configuration
parameter. It is defined in Defaults.py as

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'

If you change it, you would do this in mm_cfg.py, but the changes
referred to in the FAQ article are only things like changing http to
https or adding :port-number after %(hostname)s or perhaps changing
the path from the host to the list. Since this applies sitewide, you
don't want to replace "%(hostname)s" with "correct.host.name" since
"correct.host.name" would not be correct for all domains.

If your VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary is correctly set up as described in
the FAQ article, %(hostname)s should be filled in correctly at the
time the archive URL is presented. If this is not the case, it is
either because the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary is not correct or the
host_name attribute of the list (visible on the General Options page)
is not one of the e-mail hosts in the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary.
(hostname is generated by inverting the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary and
looking up the url-host that corresponds to the e-mail host.)

If it is the case that you have two different virtual url hosts with
the same e-mail host, then in this one case, Mailman can't determine
which of the url hosts is the correct one.

As a first step, I suggest making sure the VIRTUAL_HOSTS dictionary is
correct as described in the FAQ article. Then run bin/fix_url.py to
fix the lists - it runs under bin/withlist, but you can run it stand
alone for instructions.