[Mailman-Users] Not All Subscribers Receiving Daily Email

Easy Easy1 at waterplanet.ws
Tue Dec 14 08:54:33 CET 2004

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated. Here are comments on the comments below:

Mailman is part of a CPanel system.

I don't see a personalize option in the Non-digest options page. Just 3 - receive mail immediately, header, footer.

Some Earthlink and some AOL subscribers are not receiving their messages others are receiving them fine.

There does NOT seem to be a pattern yet to those reporting not receiving the daily message.

The statement that the list was working fine was intended to mean that the list had been up for months, with people subscribing and unsubscribing etc without any glitches - a 'stable' list of about 630 subscribers. Then missing emails started being reported around September. Perhaps someone else experienced something similar??? And found a solution????????

This is a newsletter of one email per day. Few if anyone receives a digest. When i notice someone with digest set it is turned off.

I'm not sure if mailman is on the same machine. I send to mailman and directly from the same email address. On those that do not receive the daily message - sending a direct message to them works fine.

Bounce-processing is NOW fully turned on. I'll ask the IP provider for the error logs.
If bounce_processing is not on for this list, turn it on. Check the
mailman bounce, smtp, smtp-failure and error logs. Check the MTA logs.
If you don't have access to these things, get your provider to check
them for you.
===

Easy wrote:

>>What is meant by a 'personalized' list. (See the header below for a
>>message that was received.)

If you don't know, then your list probably isn't personalized. If your
Mailman installation allows personalization, you will have the option
to turn it enable it for a list on the Non-digest options page.

>>The one subscriber that is on both lists and only receives from the
>>small list is on Earthlink. Earthlink says they are not blocking the list.

If other Earthlink subscribers are receiving the list, then this
probably isn't the issue - see below.

>>---
>>
>>Header:

<snip>

If a list is personalized, each recipients message is sent in a
separate SMTP transaction because its content may be different in some
ways from all the other messages.

It the list is not personalized, messages are sent to a large number of
recipients in one SMTP transaction. However this is only the delivery
of the message to the outgoing MTA. What happens next depends on the
outgoing MTA, but maybe the message is then sent to all the recipients
that are in the same domain (e.g. aol.com or earthlink.net) in a
single SMTP transaction with the recipients domain. Dan is suggesting
that if this transaction has "too many" recipients, it might be
rejected. If this is the reason, all the users who aren't getting the
posts would be in the same few domains, each of which contained "too
many" affected users.

Easy wrote:

>>Mailman had been working find on a 600+ subscriber list. Something
>>changed? somewhere?

If you don't know what changed, how could we?

>>Now more than a few people are not getting their email.

Is delivery enabled for these members? Is there a pattern? E.g. are
digest members and only digest members not getting mail?