[Mailman-Users] mailman and qmail for production?

Christopher Hammond ChrisH at Navsys.com
Thu Dec 16 22:54:18 CET 2004

hello all,

I have a client that would like to start a "News and Announcements" emailing
list where all emails will only be going out and noone will be posting back
to the list.

He currently has 36,000 contacts and foresees needing to scale to around
75,000 over the next couple of years.

I am somewhat new to maintaining my own mail server, but have been
successfully running 3 domains using qmail for a few months.

My questions are these :

1) is qmail an acceptable MTA for a production environment?  if not ... any
recommendations?
2) can mailman, running on a dedicated machine ( pIII with 512 Mb RAM ),
handle 30-75k contacts?
3) does mailmain provide a more detailed subscriber form whereas I could use
it to capture the demographic data of our subscribers?  (ie., physical
address, telephone number, etc )
4) is mailman actually what I should be using for this?

I greatly appreciate any information
regards
chris