[Mailman-Users] Regexp topics

Enrique Vega e_studios1 at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 20 23:45:16 CET 2004

On Dec 19, 2004, at 2:55 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> If members could ask to NOT receive certain topics, they then could
> ask for "not OffTopic", but I don't think you can do that. I think the
> best one can do is subscribe to all topics of interest and maybe also
> choose to receive messages that don't match any topic.
>
> The problem is that any time a new topic is added, each member who has
> done the above will then have to explicitly subscribe to the new topic
> to get those messages.

I've got it figured out to have a way for OT: or YAK: to be filtered on
a list that doesn't have any other topics. I set up 2 topics. The first
one filters a simple space.

\ \|

The above topic is set to checked

  The second one filters OT/YAK
ot:|
yak:|
xidtdesdlmiezls

The above topic is set to unchecked

Then the option for;
"Do you want to receive messages that do not match any topic filter?"
Is set to "NO"

What happens with the above setup is that everything is sent except OT:
or YAK:

Now, my biggest question is:

How can I set mailman to have the above settings set by DEFAULT for
each user that is subscribing to the list? I found nothing in
mm_cfg.py. I also looked around a bit, but did not find anything that I
could modify for a default setting. If I can set these defaults, then
my mail list subscribers will have little to do to set their topic
filters.

Thanks in advance!

enrique