[Mailman-Users] Long subject lines get extra padding from mailman

Miles Waller miles at jamkit.com
Mon Dec 20 12:50:13 CET 2004

Hi,

I have verified this problem in mailman versions 2.1.2 and 2.1.5.  The
problem seems to be that the second and subsequent lines of a long
header are indented when they are folded onto new lines.  From my basic
testing, the isseu seems to be related to the presence of the indents,
rather than the actual line breaks.

The impact is that several mail clients (tested thunderbird 0.9, outlook
express 5.5, outlook 2000) try faithfully to display all the extra
spaces between words, causing a gap to appear in the subject line which
can be quite noticeable in certain circumstances.

Here is a sample of the headers: