[Mailman-Users] Single user's mail delayed ONLY to list

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Dec 21 20:30:32 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 11:54, blindman jones wrote:
> I have a list, 10 users... 9 users send mail to list and their mail is
> sent out in minutes and all 10  users get the mail from the list... no
> problem. The 10th user sends a mail to the list and it is not sent
> back out to the list for 4-10 hours. Mail sent to anyone else in the
> world by the 10th user gets sent and delivered in minutes.

I doubt this is an issue with mailman, rather with your service
providers MTA (Mail Transport Agent). Mailman does not actually send the
mail, rather it contacts the MTA and says "I have mail for these N
addresses, would you please send them when you get a chance?". The MTA
then queues the request, when the message is sent depends on a host of
factors that often dynamically change (hence why the delay is not
consistent or repeatable). Given both Mailman and the MTA are under the
control of your service provider there is not much you can do as a list
owner other than engage your service provider in tracking down the
bottleneck.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>