[Mailman-Users] Memory error when running arch

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 2 19:42:22 CET 2004

Unfortunately the arch program is not optimized for real-world use and
tries to load the whole mbox archive into RAM.  Not a clever thing to
do.  One day we'll have to re-write it so that it is less memory
intensive.  For now you can try using the arbitrary numbering scheme to
run the arch program - and split the task into several smaller ones, or
you can edit your mbox archive and dump some of the earlier emails.

I like to copy off the mbox at the end of the year and start from a
fresh one in January.  I generally have my archives set so that  they do
a monthly grouping.  Once you cross into the new month, there is no
reason to keep the older emails from younger months - just don't delete
the html archives for those months.

Take care - Jon Carnes