[Mailman-Users] moving from mm 2.0.13 to 2.1.4; query about aliases

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 13:25:35 CET 2004

On 4 Feb 2004, at 11:48, David W Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone can help me sort out the aliases setup for
> Mailman
> 2.1.4, to complete a move from v2.0.13 on a Solaris 8 box running NIS
> and
> Exim v4. I'm doing a fresh install rather than an upgrade.
>
> When I installed v2.0.13 I placed aliases as follows in my NIS aliases
> file:
>
> mailman:        support
> mailman-owner:  mailman
> mailman.account:        mailman
> mailman-request:        mailman
> mailman-admin:  mailman
>
> And that's all.
>
> I've done a test install of 2.1.4 on another Solaris box and when I run
> the newlist script I'm asked to add entries to /etc/aliases, like
> these below:
>

> mailman:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
> mailman-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
> mailman-bounces:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces
> mailman"
> mailman-confirm:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm
> mailman"
> mailman-join:         "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
> mailman-leave:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
> mailman-owner:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
> mailman-request:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request
> mailman"
> mailman-subscribe:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe
> mailman"
> mailman-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
> mailman"
>
> I have 45 mailing lists so it looks like I'll have to add the above 10
> lines for each list! My questions are:
>
> 1) can these 10 lines be added for each mailing list created to the NIS
> aliases file (or can it only be /etc/aliases)?
>
> 2) is there an equivalent for v2.1.4 aliases akin to the simplicity of
> the
> 5 lines added to the NIS aliases file for v2.0.13?
>
> Thanks for any ideas/insights/suggestions.

Yes; check out the 3rd and 4th paragraphs under the heading "UPGRADING
FROM 2.0.x to 2.1" in the file called UPGRADING in your Mailman 2.1.4
build directory.

Basically, it tells you there is a script called $prefix/bin/genaliases
which will generate the revised aliases for your existing lists. When
you subsequently create new lists with $prefix/bin/newlist you will get
the revised 2.1.x aliases output to you rather than the old 2.0.x style
aliases.