[Mailman-Users] mailman not working

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 09:26:24 CET 2004

On 5 Feb 2004, at 07:41, Li, LC wrote:

> I installed mailman

What version of Mailman? Which MTA are you running?

> into redhat linux 9 using up2date and follwed all final installation
> instructions including restart apache, create site password, set
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST, create lists, start mailman
> daemon, add cron job...

But you may have missed adding the mail aliases for the lists to the
MTA's alias files/database so that the MTA knows what to do with the
incoming messages.

>  I can load every page from a browser, can create list, subscribe...
>
> However, when I post to the the post address mylist at domain.com, it got
> bounced back because of unknown user "mylist". If I turn on my site's
> email catch feature I can get the email sent to mylist as regular
> email (forwarded to my mail email account), suggesting the mailman is
> not listening for incoming post.

Mailman is probably "listening" but your MTA is not delivering,
probably because it doesn't know the mail aliases for the lists you
have created.