[Mailman-Users] password reminders with an invalid sender domain (and thus bouncing)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 8 18:24:36 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 06:03, Rejo Zenger wrote:

> ++ 07/02/04 20:16 -0500 - Jon Carnes:
> >If your running 2.1.x (and from the problem I think you are) then you
> >need to use the ~mailman/bin/withlist command to reset the host names
> >inside the configuration database.
>
> I see, the problem is however that I don't have a clue on how to issue
> those Python commands. I have no idea what I have to look for and how to
> get there. Prefereably I would like to see a complete list of variables
> that I could grep.
>
> Any idea where to start - a pointer to an introduction in working with
> this withlist, apart from the --help contents, is also welcome.
>

> [problem:]
> >> No problems, except for one list - all other list have no problems. This
> >> one list has it's password reminders send out with the wrong domain (a
> >> local domain, the one from the former box). As a result, most of these
> >> reminders get bounced because of sender verify tests.

Make sure the hosts are defined properly (as virtual host sets: URL and
Mailhost), then run withlist using the fix_url.py module on your list.
You might want to backup the list config file first.

Here is a message lifted from the archives... perhaps it will help:

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 03:33  am, Wayne Spivak wrote:
> I runnng mailman on a box with currently four domains.
>
> I've added four groups of these lines:
>
> VIRTUAL_HOSTS = {'list.foo.com': 'list.foo.com'} <-- notice bracket
> add_virtualhost ('list.foo.com', 'list.foo.com') <-- notice paren
>
> I've tried to run withlist -r fix_url -l foo-list and then mailmanctl
> restart and I still get this error.
>
> On some of the lists I get the in-addr-arpa name for the url.  Not
> even
> the box url.  The mailman list is set to the box url.
>
> I hope I've explained this, its been a long tedious day.
>
> Any ideas?

If you are supporting four virtual domains then  you probably want to
say the following in your mm_cfg.py, before restarting mailmanctl and
using fix_url

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'box.mailhostname.tld'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'box.webhostname.tld'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
add_virtualhost('your.webhostname-1.tld', 'your.mailhostname-1.tld')
add_virtualhost('your.webhostname-2.tld', 'your.mailhostname-2.tld')
add_virtualhost('your.webhostname-3.tld', 'your.mailhostname-3.tld')
add_virtualhost('your.webhostname-4.tld', 'your.mailhostname-4.tld')

You could also check out the FAQ page:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp