[Mailman-Users] Need help w/ mailman, qmail

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 23:42:14 CET 2004

On 9 Feb 2004, at 22:32, Adam Wozniak wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2004, Jon Carnes wrote:
>> Check out FAQ 3.14, it is a troubleshooting checklist.
>>   Mailman FAQ: http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py
>
> Ok, I was looking at an earlier version of that document that didn't
> mention mailmanctl.  Sure enough:
>
> [root at e log]# ps -aux| grep mailmanctl |grep -v grep
>
> So I poke and eventually:
>
> [root at e log]# /var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl start
> Site list is missing: mailman
>
> Ok, search google, more FAQs, doh!  Re-read the install and make
> the 'mailman' list, then try again...
>
> [root at e log]# /var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl start
> Starting Mailman's master qrunner.
>
> Then I get a whole bunch of these:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/var/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 270, in ?
>       main()
>      File "/var/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 217, in main
>          qrunner = make_qrunner(*runners[0])
>      File "/var/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 123, in make_qrunner
>          qrunner = qrclass(slice, range)
>      File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 57, in
> __init__
>          mod = __import__(modname)
>    ImportError: No module named Qmail
>

> Maybe changing DELIVERY_MODULE back to Sendmail?  Or maybe SmtpDirect?

Use the default SMTPDirect for _any_ MTA, including sendmail. Regarding
the Sendmail module the following is a quote from $prefix/Defaults.py,
so it is best not to use it:

<quote>
# WARNING: Sendmail has security holes and should be avoided.  In fact,
you
# must read the Mailman/Handlers/Sendmail.py file before it will work
for
# you.
</quote>