[Mailman-Users] Cross Posting creates multiple posts

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 17 02:53:38 CET 2004

I just upgraded to Mailman 2.1.4, python 2.1.3 on a Redhat 7.3
server. Prior to that I was running mm 2.1.1

When someone cross posts to multiple lists on our server (not
encouraged, but not disallowed) we end up getting an inordinate
amount of "extra" posts.

Here's what I mean.

User cross posts to lists A, B and C I end up with 9, yes NINE,
copies of the e-mail.

I get:
1) one from A
2) one from A that actually came from list B first
3) one from A that actually came from list C first
4) one from A that came from C which came from B before that
5) one from A that came from B which came from C before that
6) one from B
7) one from B that came from C first
8) one from C
9) one from C that came from B first

This was happening while I was mm 2.1.1 as well.

Is there a setting that will prevent me from getting 9 copies of the
same e-mail? Or do I need to beat the users until they stop cross
posting :-)

I still have all 9 e-mails if there is anything in the headers that
may help you help me sort this mess out.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Normal people worry me.