[Mailman-Users] Mailman/ MHonarc Integration Problem

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 08:13:04 CET 2004

On 17 Feb 2004, at 01:29, Michel R Vaillancourt wrote:

> Good evening, all...  I am trying to set MHonarc up to work with
> MailMan.  I am
> following the instructions found at:
> http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/mhonarc-users/2001-10/msg00021.html
>
> I get the following error message when a message goes through the list:
>
> ==> /usr/local/mailman/logs/error <==
> Feb 16 20:05:12 2004 (288) Uncaught runner exception: unsupported
> format character
> '>' (0x3e) at index 110
> Feb 16 20:05:12 2004 (288) Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 110, in
> _oneloop
>     self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 160, in
> _onefile
>     keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/ArchRunner.py", line 73, in
> _dispose
>     mlist.ArchiveMail(msg)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 202, in
> ArchiveMail
>     self.ExternalArchive(mm_cfg.PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER, txt)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 172, in
> ExternalArchive
>     cmd = ar % d
> ValueError: unsupported format character '>' (0x3e) at index 110
> ==> /usr/local/mailman/logs/error <==
>
>   Any suggestions as to where to start looking?

Yes, at the assignments in mm_cfg.py. The instructions you are working
to say, amongst other things, to make the following assignments
something like:

PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = '/usr/bin/mhonarc -add
-outdir/var/mhonarc/archives/%(listname)s >>
/tmp/out_external_archiver'
PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER = '/usr/bin/mhonarc -add
-outdir/var/mhonarc/archives/%(listname)s >>
/tmp/out_external_archiver'

It is no coincidence that the invalid format character complained of,
the ">" (greater than) character, appears in that recipe after a
formatting sequence "%(listname)s >"

Is there any chance that you mistyped that part of the assigned value
as "%(listname) >>" ? For instance, if you had typed "%(listname) >>"
this would lead to the error you are getting.

btw: there is a patch for a more complete integration of
Mailman/pipermail/MHonarc available at
http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/mhonarc/ which may be of
interest to you.