[Mailman-Users] mailman-htdig integration and rundig after post

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 11:13:15 CET 2004

Jörg

rundig is run automatically to build/rebuild search indices by
whichever one of the nightly_htdig series of cron scripts you choose to
use: see the INSTALL.htdig-mm file installed by the patch. The
integration patch adds an entry to MM's default crontab
($prefix/Mailman/cron/crontab.in) which runs $prefix/cron/nightly_htdig
every 24 hours.

If you want to run nightly_htdig more frequently then you can change
the crontab entry that runs it. The script can also be run from the
command line or any other means that you want to set up.

The patched Mailman does NOT perform htdig reindexing every time a new
piece of mail is added to a list's archive, that is why the patched
code adds and updates a note like this to a list's Archive TOC web
page, below the search form:

<quote>
Note:The archive search index was last rebuilt at <date-time group
rundig last run inserted here>. Any postings after that will not be
found by a search. Index rebuild is usally done once every 24 hours for
this list. You can use a "View by date" link below to access more
recent postings.
</quote>

Hope that resolves you query. Let me know if not.

Richard