[Mailman-Users] cascaded lists -- any tips?

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Tue Feb 10 17:06:40 CET 2004

I administer a set of cascaded lists, or umbrella lists, however you
want to call them. The setup is something along the following lines:

A -> B, C, users
B -> D, E, F
C -> users
D -> users
E -> users
F -> G, H, users
G -> users
H -> users

Even though I configured the umbrella_list settings accordingly,
this setup is quite painful when it comes to moderation. I have
things like require_explicit_destination with the appropriate
acceptable_aliases turned on as well as maximum size protection and
other content filter rules.

This works okay until someone posts a message to A, which is to be
moderated. I accept the message for A, and then am asked to do the
same for B and C, then for D, E, F and then for G, H. Thus, I have
to visit the moderation interface 8 times for a single message.

I have already considered making A and F pure umbrella lists and
then to take all restrictions off the umbrella lists, so as to have
moderation only apply to the leaf lists, but in the case of a post
to A, I'd still have to accept a message 7 times.

Is there no way to tell a child list to pass a message through when
it has been accepted in a parent list?

I'd be interested how other people deal with this problem. I guess
I could forget the hierarchy and simply use a database to do the
management of list memberships for each member, but i'd be
sacrificing some of the features (e.g. single archive for a group).

How can I deal with this problem?

Thanks,

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"driving with a destination
 is like having sex to have children"
                                             -- backwater wayne miller