[Mailman-Users] Re: Question on forwarded admin requests.

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Fri Feb 20 20:18:41 CET 2004

On 02:12 PM 2/19/2004, mailman-users-request at python.org wrote:
>The code that does the checking is a function called is_administrivia()
>in the file $prefix/Mailman/Utils.py
>
>  From a quick look at the Python code (which is quite legible if you
>want to take a look yourself) it appears to check both the subject line
>and the first 5 lines of the message body.
>
>The check applied is to look for any of a set of words defined as keys
>to a dictionary called ADMINDATA in $prefix/Mailman/Utils.py. These
>include unsubscribe, subscribe and others from the lexicon of email in
>commands that are majordomo'ish.
>
>The criteria that appear to be applied are that the first word of the
>subject or one of the first 5 body line is one of the key words and the
>number of words following that keyword on the line are between limits
>prescribed by min and max values in ADMINDATA associated with that
>keyword.

      So, could the same system be tweaked to reject any mail sent with
"Re: <listname> Digest" in the subject?  This is a feature on another list
I am on, and I'd really like to add it to my system.  I'd also like to
reject e-mail which quotes my list footer, but that is the end of the
e-mail.  Any thoughts or code gladly accepted!

<>< Paul