[Mailman-Users] mailman does not send E-mails

Thorsten Brabetz T.Brabetz at ecit.qub.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 17:28:49 CET 2004

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your reply!

> What in particular are your settings in
> ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py (or Defaults.py) for the
> "Delivery Defaults":
>   DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
>   MTA = 'Manual'
>   SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
>   SMTPPORT = 0               # default from smtplib
>   SENDMAIL_CMD = '/usr/lib/sendmail'

I finally found it, and while the problem was not in the
above section of Defaults.py, your mail made me read that
file one more time top to bottom, and it finally dawned on
me what the problem was:

SMTPHOST was set to 'localhost', but localhost was not
defined in /etc/hosts (don't ask me why, I did not setup
this system, I am just responsible for it now; I have to
admit that the idea that it might not be defined never even
crossed my mind prior to your mail...); hence, the smtp
error. Have now added

127.0.0.1 	localhost

entry to /etc/hosts, now Mailman seems to be working
perfectly!

Thanks again!

Best wishes

Thorsten