[Mailman-Users] RELEASED Mailman 2.1.4

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Jan 1 01:19:59 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 04:04:37PM -0800, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> I have a question... I currently run mailman as installed
> via RPM (under SUSE 9.0). How can I upgrade via the tarball?
> I mean the rpm puts files into specific locations (such as
> both /usr/lib/mailman and /var/lib/mailman) and I wanted to
> make sure that when I upgrade, the files go into the same
> locations where they are currently. How can I specify the
> locations?

Three options.
1.  Since this is a security fix, SuSe should either backport the
security patch into the version they've released, or upgrade to 2.1.4.
You can post to a SuSe-specific list to find out what they plan on
doing, or you could contact the package maintainer.
2.  Grab the source RPM from SuSe's distribution.  Install it, and then
study the spec file to see what they've done and what patches they've
applied.  Merge the new source changes with theirs, or replace their
source with the one from sourceforge.  Rebuild the source rpm and have a
good look at the rpm it produced to see if the files look like they'll
go in the right locations.  You'll also need to study any config changes
and see if they're still applicable.
3.  Remove the SuSe RPM.  Install the sourceforge package and then
migrate your lists over.  Forget about ever upgrading from SuSe.

You really have to decide if you're going to trust your distributor -
SuSe in this case - or go to the original package maintainer for your
updates.  You shouldn't mix and match.

I run Red Hat Enterprise Linux and simply go with a stock mailman
package and watch for the updates myself.  Red Hat doesn't even package
mailman any more, but I went this route with an older Red Hat Linux when
Red Hat still was shipping it.

        .../Ed

p.s. In the future, please snip your replies to the relevant pieces.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org