[Mailman-Users] How to purge correctly old messages ?

BERTHOLD Jean Jean.BERTHOLD at eosholding.ch
Wed Jan 28 14:44:27 CET 2004

Hello,

Please, I have this big archive:

root at vanuatu # pwd
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private
root at vanuatu #
root at vanuatu # du -sh etrans*
 2.4G   etrans-echanges
 645M   etrans-echanges.mbox
root at vanuatu #

root at vanuatu # pwd
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/etrans-echanges
root at vanuatu # du -sh database
 903M   database
root at vanuatu #

How to remove the oldest messages correctly ?

For example, is it sufficient to only delete files under:

root at vanuatu # pwd
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/etrans-echanges
root at vanuatu # du -sh 20030625*
 5.9M   20030625
 4.1M   20030625.txt
 120K   20030625.txt.gz
root at vanuatu #

Or do I need delete related files under:

root at vanuatu # pwd
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/etrans-echanges/database
root at vanuatu # du -sh 20030625*
 5.9M   20030625-article
  12K   20030625-author
  10K   20030625-date
  15K   20030625-subject
  10K   20030625-thread
root at vanuatu #

And after the previous delete , is this file will be updated automatiquely:

root at vanuatu # pwd
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/etrans-echanges.mbox
root at vanuatu # ls
etrans-echanges.mbox
root at vanuatu # du -sh *
 645M   etrans-echanges.mbox
root at vanuatu #

Is there somewhere a script for automatic purge ? By date criteria ...

I cannot find documentation about that ...

Thanks for your help and have a nice day

EOS Holding
Jean Berthold
Administrateur Unix & Oracle
Unité Gestion de l'infrastructure