[Mailman-Users] Web accessibility

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jul 6 15:38:46 CEST 2004

At 8:22 AM -0500 2004-07-06, Bohnenkamp, Daniel J wrote:

>  How do you make Mailman web pages accessible to the blind people

	Well, you can start with the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative
pages, starting at <http://www.w3c.org/WAI/>.

	Going to the "Quick Tips" page at
<http://www.w3c.org/WAI/References/QuickTips/>, you will note that
most items have to do with things related to graphics and multimedia.
However, Mailman doesn't really make use of much graphics, and what
little it does use graphics for is primarily for some minimal
decoration.  Mailman doesn't use scripts, applets, or plug-ins, nor
does it use frames, tables, graphs, or charts.  About the only
relevant tips are the ones regarding hypertext links (which I believe
we're already conformant with), and page organization (which I think
we do pretty good at, although I don't think we use CSS).

	You can also check the FAQs that they have.

	In my own experience, most visually challenged people use
text-mode browsers, such as "lynx" or "links", or programs that
operate in a similar fashion (perhaps Netscape on a 24" monitor with
96 point type and most advanced features turned off, like
auto-loading graphics, javascript, java, etc...).  The output from
these text-mode browsers may be fed into text-to-speech synthesizers.

	If you want to get a good idea of how your website looks to a
visually challenged person, try using the same methods.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755