[Mailman-Users] Dealing with AOL rejects

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Jun 2 13:40:15 CEST 2004

At 10:41 AM +0100 2004/06/02, Ian A B Eiloart wrote:

>>  	If you need further help, Carl Hutzler <cdhutzler at aol.com> is the guy to
>>  talk to.
>
>  Is he the guy responsible for the fact that AOL bounce spam addressed
>  to unknown recipients, rather than rejecting it. Cos that really gets
>  on my nerves.

	Carl is the guy in charge of the AOL Anti-Spam Task Force (or
whatever they're calling it these days).  I only worked at AOL for a
couple of years, and left long before Carl came along, but I'm told
that he's a nice guy and is honestly doing everything he can to help.

	The person responsible for the AOL mail system accepting messages
for non-existant recipients and then bouncing those messages would be
someone else.  I know who, but I won't mention any names.

	Given what I know of the AOL mail system design, I don't think
this is ever going to change, but if enough people complain and get
them listed in various blacklists for general stupidity and ignorance
of the way e-mail is supposed to work (e.g., rfc-ignorant.org), who
knows?