[Mailman-Users] Gaaghh! I broke my 2.1.15 installation

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Jun 7 23:29:03 CEST 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:01:08 -0400
David Relson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I rebuilt mailman-2.1.5 to apply a patch (to handle UnicodeError in
> CodeRunner.py and ToDigest.py).  AFAIK, I didn't change anything else.
>
> Now it's b0rked and I don't see why.
>
> In a nutshell, when I go to my
> http://www.mydomain.com/mailman/admin/mylist, I get:
>
> IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/logs/error'
>
> FWIW, googling for the problem turns up a couple of other lists that
> are(or have been) b0rked in the same manner.
>
> Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

Found the solution!  All is now well.

"check_perms" found approx 2000 files having permissions it didn't like
and "check_perms -f" fixed them.  Mostly it was gid "root" vs "mailman".

Regards,

David

P.S.  Info posted so that search engines can find it and help the next
person
who makes the same mistake.