[Mailman-Users] Virtual lists with the same name?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat Jun 12 08:23:44 CEST 2004

On 12 Jun 2004, at 05:30, Eric Pretorious wrote:

> Hello, All:
>
> I've searched the archives
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/) but want to
> make sure
> that the answer that I found there is still true:
>
> Is it possible to use Mailman 2.1.4 to host multiple virtual lists
> with the
> same name?  (i.e., coaches at domain1.com would be different than
> coaches at domain2.com)  The previous posts on the subject hinted that
> this
> would only be possible if there are multiple installations of Mailman
> on the
> server.

With unmodified, standard Mailman source code, there is a single
namespace for list names shared by all virtual host supported by a
given Mailman installation. Multiple installations on the same machine
can be used to avoid the list naming restrictions this creates.

The modified version of Mailman, shipped by Cpanel as part of their
commercial hosting product for ISPs, adopts a different,
list-name-munging solution to the problem but Cpanel have not made the
modified source code generally available in the public domain.