[Mailman-Users] Copyright Notice on Web Site

Sheryl Coe web at reportica.net
Wed Jun 23 14:57:41 CEST 2004

I would like to request permission to post the list of features of Mailman
on my web site.

I edit the list because we only allow a subset of the features that you
offer. [Just a note, we are not looking for new list hosting customers at
this time. We generally only host the mailing list of customers of our
other editorial services and don't offer it a la cart.] We've also removed
the notes about certain features being new and improved.

I've done this in the past with full disclosure that it is edited and with
a link to the original page.

But I notice that the copyright notice contains the word 'verbatim' so, I
would respectfully request permission to post an __edited__ features list
on our web site.

Your notice: "© 1998-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Verbatim copying
and distribution of this entire article is permitted in any medium,
provided this notice is preserved."

Please RSVP, I've delayed posting about Mailman for too long.

Thanks for Mailman,

Sheryl Coe

---------- the page in question ----------

<h3>Mailman Features</h3>

This  is an edited list of Mailman features, designed to explain our own
installation at Reportica and how we offer it to our customers. For the
original and <a href="http://www.list.org/features.html">current list of
features</a>, see the web site for this project, List.org.

<ul>
<li>Through-the-web list creation and removal
<li>Multi-lingual support: list web pages and email notices can be in
     any of nearly two dozen supported language, configurable
     per-site, per-list, and per-user
<li> "Real name" support for members
<li>Password-less operation for simple user tasks.
<li>Support for personalized deliveries
<li>Emergency moderation
<li>MIME-based content filtering
<li>Regular-expression based topic filtering
<li>Membership management, including searching for members
<li>Administrative requests pages
<li>Moderation and privacy controls
<li>Invitations
<li>Urgent: header support (bypasses digests to reach all users
     immediately)
<li>Web based list administration for nearly all tasks, including list
     configuration, moderation (post approvals), management of user
     accounts
<li>Web based subscribing and unsubscribing.  Users can temporarily disable
their accounts, select digest modes, hide their email addresses from other
members
<li>Per-list privacy features, such as closed-subscriptions, private
     archives, private membership rosters, and sender-based posting
     rules
<li>Integrated bounce detection within an extensible framework.
     Automatic disposition of bouncing addresses (disable,
     unsubscribe)
<li>Integrated spam filters
<li>Built-in web-based archiving
<li>Integrated auto-replies
<li>Multiple list owners and moderators

This  is an edited list of Mailman features, designed to explain our own
installation and how we use it for our customers. For the original and <a
href="http://www.list.org/features.html">current list of features</a>, see
the web site for this project, List.org.

Visit the <a href="http://www.List.org">Mailman</a> web site for
information about how you can install and manage Mailman for free on your
own server.
Free Software Foundation, Inc.  Verbatim copying and distribution of this
entire article is permitted in any medium, provided this notice is
preserved.</p>

On an tangential matter, I'd like to volunteer to work on editable pages
that list hosts can use to edit and promote their Mailmans services.
Perhaps others would appreciate less technical pages that xplain why it's
better, from the perspective of their (potential) customers.

Sheryl Coe