[Mailman-Users] Updating MM 2.1.2 -> 2.1.5 "stucks"

Frank Thommen fthommen at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 25 22:58:44 CEST 2004

Hello list members,

while updating MM from 2.1.2 to 2.1.5, the process of updating gets
stucked at one specific maillist.  I added a 'print mlist' in 'def
update_pending()' after
'for listname in Utils.list_names():
        mlist = MailList.MailList(listname)'

to know where it happens:

# bin/update
Upgrading from version 0x20102f0 to 0x20105f0
getting rid of old source files
Updating mailing list: XXX
  [...updates all lists with one "could not acquire lock" message...]
Updating Usenet watermarks
- nothing to update here
Updating Mailman 2.1.4 pending.pck database
WARNING: Ignoring duplicate pending ID: 7544.
  [..warns for many more "pending IDs"..]
<mailing list "list1" (locked) at 4b8300>
<mailing list "list2" (locked) at 4bbdf0>

...and here the process waits/loops forever (at least more then three
hours...).  I ^C-stopped the update several times, but it gets always
stucked at the same list.

Two questions:

 * Any hints, what the problem could be and how it could be solved?
   (please be very specific if it comes to coding, I'm a Python

 * I've stopped our maillist system with 80 lists:  Can I restart
   MM 2.1.2 for the time being after this partial update or will
   that finally corrupt my system?

Thank you very much in advance for any hints.

Frank Thommen, Informatik Support Gruppe, D-INFK, ETH Zuerich
E-Mail: fthommen at inf.ethz.ch; Tel: +41-1-63 27208 (Mo-Do)
Web: http://www.isg.inf.ethz.ch