[Mailman-Users] Tieing Mailman to Spamassassin

Rob Brandt bronto at csd-bes.net
Thu Mar 4 19:24:56 CET 2004

I've continued working on this and made changes as I thought carefully about
what is actually going on here.

Assuming that the email is being routed to mailman before the maildrop filter is
processed, I had the idea of piping the email to mailman *throuogh* the
maildrop filter, instead of with the alias.  That way, the maildrop filter can
pass it to spamassassin first using xfilter, then pipe it to mailman.

It doesn't work.  When I send a message to the list, postfix bounces it back
with the following message:

"<re-techtalk at re-techtalk.com>: Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/local/bin/maildrop". Command output: Failed to create default user
    preference file /var/spool/postfix/virtual/.spamassassin/user_prefs Group
    mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as
    group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as
    group "csdbes".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
    "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
    `--with-mail-gid=csdbes'."

I understand what it's saying here, but I don't understand why.  I recognize
it's saying that the mailman process must be as the mailman group, but I don't
see why the pipe works from postfix alias (the non-virtual kind) but not piping
from maildrop.  Is there an argument to use that will set
"run as group mailman" for piping the message to mailman?

Rob