[Mailman-Users] changing ISP servers

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 9 03:40:57 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 10:33, Pastor Augie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have several mailman lists setup.  Because of technical difficulties
> with our ISP's physical server, I am being required to migrate our
> entire website, including lists, to a new server (new IP and new
> name).  My ISP contact tells me that when the mailman lists are moved
> to the new server they will need to be RECREATED FROM SCRATCH!!
>
> Is that the case?  What is the most desirable way to migrate to a new
> server?  Is there a simple export feature or some flat (or db) file I
> can export or something like that so I don't have to recreate the list
> by hand??
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Augie.

Well, if they are using a straight version of Mailman then the answer is
false. It's very easy to move lists to a new server.

It may be that they are actually using Cpanel (or will be using Cpanel).
This app does "who-knows-what" to Mailman.  Actually we know a few
things it does, thanks to the many, many complaints we receive on a
regular basis from folks stuck using Cpanel.

Even then, the movements of the lists can be relatively painless - if
they allow you command line access to dump out your list configurations
into text files.

Good luck - Jon Carnes