[Mailman-Users] Re: Why it shows listname-bounces instead of listname-admin?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 10 14:00:09 CET 2004

In Mailman 2.1.x, list email is sent out from Mailman with a special
address <listname>-bounces. Any mail returned to <listname>-bounces
comes from poorly designed Mail Servers or Mail Processors that do not
follow the RFC's; they are bounces though.

Mailman 2.0.x expected Mail Servers to follow the RFC's and wrote
exception handlers for those that did not.  The list of exception
handlers for Microsoft alone was huge (something in the range of 30
different ways of bouncing a message).

The new method allows Mailman to handle bounces whether a Mail Server is
setup properly or not.  I agree that having the mail sent form
<Something>-bounces is not ideal.  Feel free to suggest a name change
for that alias.

HtH - Jon Carnes