[Mailman-Users] Help stopping Virus sent to lists "from" my domain

Caleb Epstein cae at bklyn.org
Thu Mar 11 20:45:41 CET 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 05:59:49PM +0000, Jamie Penman-Smithson wrote:

> This type of forgery is usually best handled at the MTA level, I've
> setup Postfix to reject mail which appears to originate locally, but is
> being received from somewhere else, You don't say what MTA you're using,
> but I'm sure there is similar functionality available.

	We're in the process of overhauling our mail server, and will
	be moving to postfix, amavis-new and clamav when we do (I've
	already done this at home and its catching a ton of
	viruses)

	In the meanwhile, though, it seems at the very least that
	Mailman has a bug whereby the privacy filters seem to check
	the "envelope-from" and do not check it against the From: in
	the message header.  The Mailman post log for my system lists
	the information in the From: header, when clearly this was not
	the address that was checked.

	Now I know how to track these forgeries back to the address
	that is being used as a "gateway" (the envelope-from), but
	Mailman itself could perhaps do a better job of making sure
	the two addresses agree (assuming that won't break something
	else).

--
              |               | Under any conditions, anywhere, whatever you
Caleb Epstein |  bklyn . org  | are doing, there is some ordinance under which
    cae at    | Brooklyn Dust | you can be booked.
bklyn dot org |   Bunny Mfg.  | 		-- Robert D. Sprecht,