[Mailman-Users] Messages not moving fro mail directory to qfiles directory

David Miner miner at lis.fsu.edu
Tue Mar 16 17:20:24 CET 2004

Jon,

I have created a list and received the notification of it.  I added the
list to the aliases file and sent messages to it.

maillog show the messages being passed to Mailman.  The messages get as far
as the mail directory and do not get to the qfiles directories.

At this point there is one file in the mail directory titled "mailman post
test" and it contains the several messages I have sent to the list.  There
are no files in any of the qfiles directories.

Additional information:  There is also a "mailman bounces test" and a
"mailman post fp" file in the mail directory.  There is also a "mailman"
file there.

According to your comment, the mailman post (and bounces) app is not
working.  What do I do to fix it?

Thanks,

David

At 08:09 PM 3/15/2004 -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 10:12, David Miner wrote:
> > I am running version 2.1.4 of Mailman.
> > It was installed from the FreeBSD port.
> > I am running FreeBSD 4.9
> > My MTA is sendmail.
> >
> > I have installed and configured Mailman 2.1.4.  I have created a list and
> > entered the information in /etc/aliases and run newaliases.
> >
> > My /var/log/maillog show incoming mail being passed to Mailman.
> >
> > The messages are passed through the system until they reach the
> > /usr/local/mailman/mail directory, then they stop.
> >
> > bin/check_perms says no problems.
> >
> > Qrunners and mailmanactl are running and show up in ps -aux.
> >
> > I have followed all of the steps in FAQ 3.14 Troubleshooting: No mail
> going
> > out to lists members.
> >
> > A search of the mailman archives (because of the way I thin about the
> > problem) either resulted in nothing or too much to search through.
> >
> > I scanned the archives month by month back to December 2003 and found
> nothing.
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > David
>
>David, have you created any lists successfully (and gotten notification
>of their creations)? Did you create the "mailman" list?
>
>So... you've successfully created the mailman list and a test list. You
>send to the test list and the MTA (Sendmail) runs the Mailman app
>associated with that alias - so the message is now waiting in one of
>your ~mailman/qfiles/..  directory's.
>   cd ~mailman/qfiles/
>   ls *
>
>Can you tell us if there are files there, and which directories they are
>in?
>
>If there are no files in the qfiles directory, then either they are
>getting processed by the qrunners (so there should be MTA records of the
>outgoing mail) or they are not getting to the qfiles directory - so the
>mailman post app is not working for the list.
>
>Jon Carnes
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

David R. Miner                                          Voice:  (850) 644-8107
Assistant In Information Practice                Fax:    (850) 644-6253
Faculty Practitioner in Network Services     E-mail: miner at lis.fsu.edu
School of Information Studies
The Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2100