[Mailman-Users] Question for you

Jamie Penman-Smithson jamie at silverdream.org
Sat Mar 20 23:41:36 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 19:24, Healing-Oils.com wrote:
> Won't this send a confirmation email to the user though?  If the customer
> indicates that they want to subscribe, and they provide their email address
> on my website, then I would like to be able to have my website automatically
> send off an email that will subscribe them.
>
> So is there any way to do this so that a confirmation email is not sent to
> the end user?

See the previous thread "Stop the Confirmation E-Mail" for why this is a
*very* Bad Idea:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-March/035429.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-March/035441.html

A summary of the points raised:

SMTP is trivial to forge, and abuse. There is nothing to stop malicious
users subscribing all and sundry to your mailing list, thereby creating
more spam. You'll probably (hopefully) end up being blacklisted by a few
of the major DNSBL's - reducing the likelihood of any of your ML mail
getting through at all.

There are several anti-spam laws in the works that will *require*
confirmation for mailing list subscription.

It's just plain irresponsible behaviour. Read the thread for the full
discussion.

-j

-jamie <jamie at silverdream.org> | spamtrap: spam at silverdream.org
 w: http://silverdream.org | p: sms at silverdream.org
 pgp key @ http://silverdream.org/~jps/pub.key
 22:30:01 up  8:32,  1 user,  load average: 0.51, 0.43, 0.28