[Mailman-Users] Case sensitivity for email addresses

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Tue May 4 20:42:34 CEST 2004

I'm using mailman 2.1 and have managed to get one of my lists into a
somewhat odd state.

A user fred at domain.com was originally added through the
mass-subscription web interface.

Later, I added fred at DOMAIN.com (note capitalization) with the add_member
script on the commandline.

Or perhaps it was the opposite way around.  In any case, I now have the
user subscribed twice, with the same email address, but different
capitalization of the domain portion.

Now the problem is trying to remove either or both of these entries.
Regardless of whether I use the web interface or commandline, I am
unable to remove the member without breaking the list completetly.
All attempts seem to remove one of the members, and then I hit a
consistency check that complains about the other entry being "not a
member".  All attempts to post to the list, etc., fail with the same
error (only visible on commandline; web interface just says that an
error happened).

Is it possible to manually dump the database of list members, remove the
offending email addresses, and then "undump" the database?

Or some other way to fix the list?

Thanks in advance,
-Ralph Siemsen

(Please cc: replies as I am not subscribed to this list!)