[Mailman-Users] Using Outlook Express News Reader to view andpost messages

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon May 17 15:31:34 CEST 2004

Barbara Manning wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 20:07:26 +0900:

> If my only choice for this group is to read via my email client, I can do
> that, it's just messy looking and I end up downloading about 75 messages a
> day.   I'll probably unsubscribe with this email address and set up a
> separate address just for this group.  That will help somewhat.

If the threading doesn't look good, it's a problem of your mail client.
There's no difference in threading between newsgroups and mail unless some of
the people on the list use certain Microsoft programs which don't add the
correct headers for threading. I'm sure, Eudora is able to thread this list
like a newsreader. And it should have filters/rules, so you don't need to set
up an extra account (although using a different account for mailing lists
isn't bad, anyway ;-). F.i. I simply use one of the headers in each mail to
filter all mails for this mailing list in one folder setup just for it.

You need to make a clear distinction between mailing lists and newsgroups.
You can only read mailing lists with a newsreader if there is a newsserver
which gets the mailing list messages piped to/from. That's obviously what TPC
has done, it's not standard. So, don't confuse "groups" and "lists".

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany