[Mailman-Users] qrunner running away (Mailman 2.0.11)

Paul Smith pausmith at nortelnetworks.com
Tue May 18 23:41:02 CEST 2004

I know this is a really old version, but I'm hoping someone has some
hints for me on troubleshooting this: upgrading to 2.1.4 or 2.1.5 is on
my TODO list but...

This server has probably 50 lists on it, and it has relatively low
traffic overall.  It's no great shakes hardware-wise (a dual PIII 500MHz
box with 512M RAM), but for a mail server at this level that should be
quite sufficient.  And, in fact, it has been up until fairly recently.
No changes have been made to this box (it's running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE)
or its environment that I can think of.

What's happening is that the qrunner process is sucking down one entire
CPU, with 99% cpu usage.  That same qrunner (python instance) will run
for 30 minutes or more, then it will finish and the box will be idle for a
while, then it will start again.  Mail that used to be delivered almost
instantly now can take up to an hour to get through the box.  Top shows
that the box is not memory starved.  I tried to truss the python process
but I get nothing but break() after break(); no real system calls at
all.  This one process ends up using about 190M.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to debug this problem?  Is there
something stuck in the mail queue which is causing all this havoc?  How
can I find it and get it out of there?

Thanks!

 Paul D. Smith <psmith at nortelnetworks.com>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools