[Mailman-Users] Mailman + Sendmail issues

Mark Sass MSass at sassware.com
Wed May 19 00:21:32 CEST 2004

Hey All,
	I am new to Mailman - just downloaded it last night, and I am having some problems configuring the sendmail portion of it.  Some background information:

Mailman V2.1.5
Sendmail 8.11.2/8.12.2
Python 2.3.3
Apache 1.3.14
mod_python 2.7.10
Suse 7.3 which installed Sendmail and Apache

The Apache/mod-python has problems in that it does not like the the no extension on the python scripts, but if I rename them to admin.py they work fine.  This is an Apache problem, but I will ask - how do I get apache to recognize the scripts to be scripts and not try to download them?  My biggest problem is that whenever I send email to one of the aliases created I get this error:

May 18 11:52:32 hostname procmail[32308]: Unknown user "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
May 18 11:52:32 hostname sendmail[32307]: i4IGqWp32306: to="|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman", delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=30220, dsn=5.1.1, stat=User unknown

I see the smrsh in the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin directory, and I have made the changes to the Mprog setting in sendmail.cf to use it instead of the /bin/sh, but nothing seems to work.  The current configuration uses a smart host for all outside email, and I can successfully send email back and forth from 'real' users on the system with no problems.  I know there is probably a simple solution, but all the articles I have read over the past 24 hours (worked about 8 hours on this) have not helped.  Can someone point me to a very detailed troubleshooting article about this or can help me troubleshoot it?  I am contemplating upgrading Sendmail to 8.12.11.  Any suggestions?

Your help is appreciated.

Mark