[Mailman-Users] CGI Error: Failure to find group name

Andrew Hill andrew at awarez.net
Thu May 20 16:21:15 CEST 2004

Hi all,

This question is asked several times in the archives, but I'm yet to
find the answer.

What do you do when you've installed Mailman, but accessing the CGI
pages with a web browser gives the error message:

  Failure to find group name nobody.  Try adding this group
  to your system, or re-run configure, providing an
  existing group name with the command line option --with-cgi-gid.

Mailman was configured like this:

  ./configure \
     --with-mail-gid=postfix \
      --with-cgi-gid=nobody \
      --with-mailhost=xxx.xxx.xxx \
      --with-urlhost=xxx.xxx.xxx

And I'm pretty sure that the group "nobody" exists:

  # pw group show nobody
  nobody:*:65534:

So, why can't Mailman find the group?

TIA!