[Mailman-Users] Licensing Question

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri May 21 20:54:47 CEST 2004

On 18 May 2004, at 14:52, adam.swartz at highmark.com wrote:

> Good morning.  An area of my company would like to look at your
> software a
> little closer.  Are there any fees associated with corporate usage of
> your
> Mailman program?

Mailman is Open Software and subject to the GPL so basically the answer
to your question is that source code access is free to individuals and
businesses but you do your own support or pay someone to provide it for
you. The authors and contributors to the Mailman source do not provide
support on a contractual basis unless you negotiate an arrangement with
them as an  individual. But plenty of volunteers contribute their
experience to lists such as this one, that you have posted to, so
supporting MM is not that difficult if you have some system's admin
experience.

Download the MM source from sourceforge and read the gnu-COPYING-GPL
and other documentation files in the source distribution.

> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam Swartz, A.P.P.
> Commodity Planner II
> Corporate Procurement
> (717)302-5949
>
> Note:  The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be
> legally
> privileged.  Do not read this if you are not the intended recipient.
> Unauthorized use is prohibited and taken at your own risk.

"Old Billy was right, let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight":
copyright The Eagles and not at all confidential; nearly as good as the
play.