[Mailman-Users] Open / Close lists

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sun May 23 15:16:15 CEST 2004

On 23 May 2004, at 08:18, Brian York wrote:

> After going through all of that it hit me earlier how it worked. I
> have been
> using PMDF's mailing list software and it works a little different.
> You have
> a list of addresses that the messages are to be sent to and then a
> separate
> list of addresses for people who can post. Then a configuration on if
> people
> can subscribe themself or not.
>
> That brings me to another migration issue. We have about 600 lists or
> so that
> are created automatically every semester (university environment) for
> classes
> and then some that is for all students student organizations and
> students
> faculty etc etc. Since the list is just a plain text file with email
> addresses they are created via a script and ftp to the VMS server
> running
> PMDF overwriting the old lists. I have looked at the mailman config
> files and
> it's a mess.

Before deciding haw bad things are you might find it worthwhile to take
a look at the programs in $prefix/bin/ that form part of Mailman. Using
them is probably a better bet then trying to work with pickled Python
internal data structures unless you know python and want to extend
Mailman by programming.

Programs like config_list, add_members, list_members, delete_members,
sync-members etc are quite useful for automating administration tasks
and, in general, their input and outputs are straight text files.

You can run most of these programs with the -h or --help option to
confirm their function and command line options. Then let the list know
which admin tasks are still causing you grief.

Being Python source code, they also can be used as exemplars of how to
program extensions to Mailman if that is what you decide to do.