[Mailman-Users] relay access denied

Kelsey Forsythe forsythe at chem.iupui.edu
Sun May 23 20:13:08 CEST 2004

On May 21, 2004, at 7:31 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 9:53 AM -0500 2004/05/21, Kelsey Forsythe wrote:
>
>>   Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied;
>>  from=<chemclub-bounces at atom.chem.iupui.edu> to=<kforsyth at iupui.edu>
>>  proto=ESMTP helo=<atom.chem.iupui.edu>
>>
>>  I'm using postfix as the main mail on the server and have
>> pop-before-smtp
>>  configured to allow for relaying
>
> 	There's not really enough information here to say.  You don't tell us
> which machine this line is being generated on
atom.chem.iupui.edu
> , or what domains it's supposed to be accepting mail for.
I thought I had configured pop-before-smtp such that users could send
and receive mail from any domain:
My 'main.cf' file from Postfix has lines like:

# TRUST AND RELAY CONTROL
# For use with pop-before-smtp
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
hash:/etc/postfix/bad-recipient,permit_mynetworks
,reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
         check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/pop-before-smtp,
#       check_relay_domains,reject:forsythe
#       check_relay_domains
         hash:/etc/postfix/bad-recipient,check_relay_domains
#       /etc/postfix/bad-recipient

mynetworks = 134.68.0.0/16, 149.166.0.0/16, 156.56.0.0/16

I am not getting messages bounced when I send regular mail through the
server but this
'relay' error appears when they try to join the MailMan mailing list.

Thanks,

KF

> 	Give us more details regarding the situation, and perhaps we might be
> able to help.
>
> --
> Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles at skynet.be>

>     -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.
>
>   SAGE member since 1995.  See <http://www.sage.org/> for more info.

Kelsey Forsythe, PhD
Director, Computational Molecular Science Facility
IUPUI Chemistry
LD 320
402 North Blackford St.
Indianapolis, IN 46202