[Mailman-Users] High CPU Load

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sun May 30 23:59:43 CEST 2004

At 10:24 PM +0100 2004/05/30, Jason Shouler wrote:

>  Can anyone offer any suggestions on resolving a high cpu load with Python.
>
>  We're using Mailman 2.1.4, Python 2.3.3, Sendmail & Amavis to support
>  an announcement only list of about 40k members on an IBM Netfinity
>  server (1 Gb RAM).
>
>  During list activity CPU load will often exceed 90% with the load being
>  spread fairly evenly between active qrunners (e.g. command, outgoing &
>  virgin runners).

	Have you seen the Mailman FAQ entry at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.041.htp>?

>  This I can live with but what I can't live with is the 98% load generated
>  from the web admin interface (driver admin script) which effectively makes
>  the interface unusable.   In fact mailmanctl must be shut down in order to
>  do any remote administration at all!

	I've seen reports of high load with qrunners, and created the
above FAQ entry to consolidate the information that I had seen to
that point in time.  I do not recall seeing reports of high load with
the web interface, however.

>  I've scoured the archives and also tried most options within 'mm_cfg.py'
>  all without success.
>
>  It's probably worth pointing out that the same issues existed with
>  previous versions of Python and Mailman.

	I'd suggest upgrading to versions 2.1.5, and trying the other
suggestions recommended by the FAQ.  If one or the other or both of
those don't solve the problem, please let us know.