[Mailman-Users] Mailman/Sendmail addressing

Rob.Exley at equifax.com Rob.Exley at equifax.com
Tue Oct 5 12:04:02 CEST 2004

I am in the process of setting up Mailman running on RedHat Linux 9 and
using Sendmail 8.12.8.

The machine is also a authoritative DNS for the zone ntg.equifax.com and we
I have a zone file containing an MX record for the ntg.equifax.com domain
pointing to this machine. As far as this is concerned this is all working
correctly. If I send a mail from a separate desktop to myself at this
domain the mail is transferred via a number of other MTAs back into the
sendmail installation and everything works just fine.

I have been asked to look into setting up a separate MX record to direct
mail to 'lists.ntg.equifax.com' to this machine which I have done and and
these emails also come into this mail server. Now to the crux of the matter

Even though I have modified /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py to change
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST to be 'lists.ntg.equifax.com'. I have also modified the
'Host name this list prefres for email' in the web interface for my test
mailing list to be 'lists.ntg.equifax.com'. This doesn't seem to have been
reflected in the emails being sent from the mailing list to list members.

For example if I have created a list called sandbox (which I have). How
does Mailman construct outgoing mail with regard to the headers and
specifically reply-to and from headers. Does it just send mail as the
'sandbox' user and let sendmail add any host/domain information to the
outgoing mail or does it fully qualify the addresses ?

Thanks in advance

--
Rob Exley <rob.exley at equifax.com>
This message contains information from Equifax Inc. which may be