[Mailman-Users] Help tracing a delivery problem - Qmail-mailman-vmailmgr

Bill Ing wing at ingmedia.com
Wed Oct 6 22:57:49 CEST 2004

Greetings,

I installed Mailman 2.1.5 on a new server and have been fighting with it for
a few days and wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to
look at as far as figuring .

I have a working installation of 2.1.4 on another server that has been
retired, however it's inaccessible until next week so I can't get access to
it and look around.

On the new server, I can use the web interface to subscribe and create lists
but when trying to send mail to the list, it gets messed up.

When sending messages to the default mailman list or any other ones created,
an error message returns from mailer-daemon at mailserver indicating the
message wasn't deliverable to the the list address.  But included in the
body is the "TO ACCESS THE MAILING LIST SYSTEM: Start your web browser
on...."

So, following my train of logic, what I could figure out following the trail
with a lack of understanding Python, I figure the following things are
happening.

1> Mail for the list domain arrives.
2> Qmail looks up the mailman user and its home directory to find
.qmail-default
3> Message is passed to qmail-to-mailman.py script.
4> Script processes the message and tries to lookup the recipient mailing
list.
6> Script fails to find the recipient mailing list.
7> Script tells qmail that it failed and throws in the "TO ACCESS THE
MAILING LIST SYSTEM:..." line.
8> Mailer-daemon sends this back to the user along with a undeliverable to
the address.

The qmail logs also indicate failure as opposed to the success message I see
in the backed up logs of the old server.

Oct  6 16:51:37 mail qmail: 1097095897.902021 delivery 2057: failure:
TO_ACCESS_THE_MAILING_LIST_SYSTEM:_Start_your_web_browser_on/http://lists.in
gmedia.com//That_web_page_will_help_you_subscribe_or_unsubscribe,_and_will/g
ive_you_directions_on_how_to_post_to_each_mailing_list./

I figure if things were working propperly, it wouldn't be Mailer-daemon
sending me the rejected message, but mailman at mailserver.  And, the
qmail-to-mailman.py script would be able to lookup the users in the database
and dump something into /var/mailman/lists for qrunner to process.

Again, any advice on where to start looking would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Ing