[Mailman-Users] RE: Newbie Question -- Attachments (again)

Newman, Linda (newmanld) NEWMANLD at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri Oct 15 20:44:48 CEST 2004

Follow-up to my earlier question (below).

I went back and put back in the defaults for "Remove message attachments
that don't have a matching content type."  These are now set to:
    multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
    text/plain

Attachments such as word documents and pdf documents are still being
rejected, which I'm pleased about.  HTML-formatted messages are now being
converted to plain text (despite answering that question 'No' -- see below),
and this is better than the messages being rejected.  Messages that have
attachments but also have remaining plain text parts are now being sent to
the list without the attachment, instead of being rejected completely, so
this is better.  I'm left wondering:

1) What kind of attachments are allowed by 'multipart/mixed' and
'multipart/alternative'?

2) Why are html formatted messages still translated to plain text even
though I've answered 'No' to the option "Should Mailman convert text/html
parts to plain text?"

Again, any answers or information are appreciated.

-- Linda Newman