[Mailman-Users] Recent AOL thread

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Oct 21 16:03:05 CEST 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 3:56 AM, John Fleming wrote:
> are otherwise blocked.  Mine is a personal sever.  I am a newbie, but
> I'm
> using Postfix/Debian and it is not an open relay.

AOL also blocks email from servers living in IP spaces known to be
dialup or in the cable modem or home DSL ranges in many cases, because
so much spam comes zombied home computers. Their position is you should
be using your ISP's SMTP machines to send e-mail, not your personal
machine, so if you're on a consumer DSL line or cable modem line, that
could well be the cause of the blockage.

And frankly, these days, I think they have a point. It's one reason
I've always run my home off of a SOHO line, not a personal line.