[Mailman-Users] Odd smtp-error

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sun Oct 24 01:48:31 CEST 2004

Nope.. looks like the problem is still there, and it is only happening
with mailman.  I cannot express just how frustrating this is since I
cannot seem to squeeze any additional information out of mailman.. it
just seems to be a big black hole.. :(

Prior to removing and re-adding the list, one of the symptoms was that
mailman would connect to the sendmail server (on the same box), do some
magic that results in the "DSN: User unknown" error, and then it would
hang on the connection (or so it would appear).  Restarting sendmail or
restarting mailman would open up the flood gates again and allow email
to flow.

Interestingly, though, restarting sendmail would get the email to be
delivered..

Once I blew away the test list and recreated it with the same members,
that symptom went away.

However, it still barfs on my email address with the User unknown.  *sigh*

I would love to take the party-line and say "it's an MTA problem", but
nothing I can find points to that as the source of the problem.  If it
were an MTA problem, it would be effecting all other emails to that
address, not just those that are generated from mailman..

Again, is there any way to "turn up" the logging or something..
anything.. within mailman?  The logs, so far, are pretty much useless in
that they simply echo that DSN error..

I am at a complete loss here.. like I said, I even tried blowing away
the entire list and rebuilding it from scratch with the same result.
Either it is a configuration problem on the Mailman side that I have
missed, or it is something I have overlooked completely on the sendmail
side (although, this seems unlikely).

-Rich